Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Heather Hardesty - March Blog - Always be hungry


Always be hungry
By Heather Hardesty
Professional Mentor


Happy Spring Everyone! I apologize it’s been a while since you heard from me. The theme of 2018 so far has been – Busy. Which in my opinion is always a glorious thing! This mini hiatus has also given me time to think about what I was going to write about. I’m always taking in my surroundings whether I’m teaching a dance class, sitting and observing at a dance convention, watching others teach or attending a conference. There’s one thing that stands out to me and that is hunger. I’m not talking about needing to eat hunger, but the kind of hunger that moves you to be the best version of yourself. This is the subject I would like to talk a little about today.

I think it’s very easy to lose your hunger once you’ve established yourself in your profession, no matter what it is you do. There’s a feeling that once you’ve “made it” you don’t have to continue to work for it, because you “made it”. Look at those around you. Who still gets excited talking about what they do? Who around you still has a sparkle in their eye? Who around you still trains in their given profession? Who around you sees an obstacle as fuel or opportunity? Those are the people who are still hungry. These are the people who realize that they will always to certain extent be a student sometimes. These are the people who get excited for the unknown and can’t wait to see the possibilities in the unknown. Does everything ever work out for these people? Absolutely not! But the difference in those that hunger to be better and those that don’t hunger to be better is happiness.

Think about the times you are happy – truly happy. The world is just a little bit brighter. People can’t help but smile when they are around you. You attract positive people. Things seem to go your way. Now think about times you are not happy. You tend to see the world in a different way. You complain more. You attract others that are unhappy and things don’t ever seem to go your way. What is the difference you ask? I choose to believe the difference is how you choose to react to a situation. In my experience, those that remain hungry are more positive in all aspects of their life.

In the dance world, styles are always evolving. New, younger teachers come around and sometimes replace teachers who have teaching for lots of years. There’s always new ways of teaching a specific genre. Choreography is ever changing. How is that some who have been dancing forever are still around, but others are not? The ones that are still around have never stopped learning. These dancers/teachers are still are students. These dancers/teachers still attend yearly workshops to stay on top of what is current. These dancers/teachers, depending on their season, evolve. Those that are still around today never rested on their success in their 20’s and 30’s. They used that success to make them hungry to continue to learn and grow. We know that we as dancers/teachers will reach a time where we can’t move as well as we did back in our 20’s or 30’s and that is okay. We find ways to still contribute – get a demonstrator for class, take on more admin duties, choreography, teaching a class on dance history/dance technique, hosting workshops, etc.

So how do you regain your hunger? My advice, if you can, is take a mini sabbatical. That can come in the form of taking the summer off, not teaching for a semester or cutting back even one day. This is if you are able to – I know not everyone is able to. I would take that time to be a student. If you are in the dance world, go take a class in a genre you have little experience or exposure to. Put yourself out there. Revisit what it was like to be a student. I promise it will ignite something in you. During your time off, read! Check out every book you can at the library that talks about success, persistence and drive. Take notes and identify what the common trait all of these people have that continue to have success. I would also find an opportunity to volunteer to teach kids who don’t have the chance to take dance or can’t for whatever reason. I think it’s important to see the pure joy and excitement a child has taking their first dance class. They are hungry and want to learn! It’s important to go back to that whenever possible. It shows us how important our job is and helps us to not forget the passion and the hunger we have for our art.

I hope you never lose your hunger in whatever profession you decide to pursue. I’m so thankful that as a business owner, teacher and dancer in the dance world, I still have the drive and the hunger to be better today than I was yesterday. My wish is the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment