Friday, December 14, 2018

Being Santa


December 2018 Blog
By Heather Hardesty
Being Santa

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is by far my most favorite time of the year. I love everything about the holiday season. I love decorating, going to parties, singing Christmas music and finding that perfect gift for a family member. Now that my daughter figured out the Santa thing a few years ago, we don’t play Santa anymore. I know it’s a part of growing up, but it still leaves me a little sad. One thing I’ve taught my daughter, and that is the topic of my blog this month, is how to be a Santa to other.

I think the magic of Santa for young ones is the belief that he will bring us that gift that we are wanting. As we get older, I think the magic of Santa takes a different turn. Take for instance that scared little child that tried out your dance class for the first time and was so shy, she didn’t do a whole lot at the beginning. With encouragement, love and understanding you gave her the confidence needed so at the end of class she goes in the middle of the free style circle and shows off her moves. You in that moment gave that child a gift that was far more valuable than a toy. You gave that child confidence – you were Santa in that moment.

I’m part of a Community Choir and we have a group of people that carol out in the community. Some of the gigs are at local nursing homes. A particular instance I want to share happened this season. A group went to a nursing home with occupants that were in late stages of dementia. ALS, etc and some truly didn’t really know what was going on in their surroundings. This group of singers began singing and instantly you say life come to their eyes and they started singing the words. In that moment, this group of vocalists were Santa to these people. They brought magic to them even if it was for one night.

So as we are in the thick of our Holiday season, how can you be a Santa to someone? How can you be a Santa to someone year around? I would like to think that if our World would be a better place if more people found ways to be Santa to others.

Happy Holidays and Blessings for a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment